This text is a litle rant about e-readers. First, I would like to state the pros:
- Not having to carry my books everywhere is very convenient, I can have my administration/programming/whatever books easily accesible in a single weightless device.
- Battery last weeks (depends on usage)
- Able to write notes, which is also very convenient
- Many models to choose from
And now the cons:
- These devices are very expensive. The average price of a e-reader is in the range of 500 euros
- Many of them need a battery replacement after a couple of years, which I think it is unacceptable. Even worse, these devices usually are glue together so the battery is not serviceable, (basically meaning that after 2or 3 years you have to buy another one).
- The same thing applies to all the components in the devices, if something brokes…well you get the idea.
I really like e-readers, but I am not willing to pay ridiculous amounts of money for devices that only last a few years and are unserviceable. For now I will return to the cheapest pen and paper for my notes and carry my books around again.